Prior to the January 7, 2014 Monthly Membership Meeting
the Local 100 Officers and Agents pledged their
Oath of Office.
Special Thanks to Joint Council 26 President, Randy Verst.
President Verst conducted the Oath of Office for
the newly elected Officers and Agents.
Officers and Agent re-elected also repeated their Oath of Office.
The Teamsters provide WellCare Cards to every Teamster in the nation.
The WellCare Card provides discounted medical care and discounted prescriptions for our Teamsters.
The People that provide the WellCare Cards also provide the following newsletter adressing medical topics.
The Importance of Medication Compliance
Poor medication compliance, which refers to how well patients follow medical advice about their medications, is a growing concern in the United States, as it causes nearly 125,000 deaths each year and adds an additional $290 billion in health care costs. Studies show a strong association between medication compliance and improved treatment results; however, according to the National Consumers League, nearly three out of four Americans reported they do not always take their medication as directed.
Health care providers have the knowledge to treat diseases and illnesses, so to maximize the benefits of your medications, it is important to take them on the prescribed schedule and as instructed by your doctor. If you have trouble with taking your medications as prescribed, here are some tips to help you develop good medication habits:
- Fill your prescriptons at the same pharmacy so your medication history is accurately recorded and monitored.
- Remind yourself to take your medication with alarms, notes or a checklist. You can also use a planner to remind you about medications that need to be taken at specific times.
- Practice spring cleaning of you medicine cabinet, and properly dispose of medicines that you no longer need or have expired.
- If you medications are too expensive, collaborate with your health care provider to work towards other options that can treat your illness in more cost effective manner. You can also use your prenegotiated savings from WellCardRx at the pharmacy to save money on your prescriptions, whether or not you have health insurance.
- Be an educated patient and learn how your medication treats your condition and its role in producing optimal outcomes.
Take control of your health and wellness and make sure you take your medications as directed by your doctor. By doing so, you not only increase the effectiveness of your therapy, but you also reduce costs and medical errors, resulting in easier disease maintenance and management of your wellness.
February is American Heart Month
Just because February is already in full swing doesn't mean you can't start taking better care of your heart. With heart disease claiming about 600,000 lives each year, it is the leading cause of death for both men and women, costs over $312.6 billion each year, but is completely preventable and controllable.
To help prevent heart disease, implement a few of these healthy changes into your life:
- Eat a healthy diet, with at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetable each day, which can help maintain cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
- Maintain a healthy weight, as being overweight or obese can increase your risk for heart disease.
- Exercise regularly to help with weight maintenance. Aiming for 30 minutes on most days will lower your cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Quit smoking and limit alcohol use, as both are related to high blood pressure levels.
- Practice medication compliance, especially if you are taking prescription medications for high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes.
To find out more on how you can prevent heart disease at any age, visit the American Heart Association at www.heart.org.
Join the Connect Community
WellCardRx now offers an online community, Connect , for our members. With Connect, you will be able to provide your opinion on new products and services, submit feedback about the program and see how other WellCardRx members are saving.
WellCardRx empowers members with access to reduced costs on prescription drugs and more
Empowering your health life.